Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hey I hope you remembered that I have pday today. we have zone conference tomorrow. If you get this and it's not past 6pm you can write back because I will be here in the stake center until then.
This week was pretty awesome. Earl and Emy Atchley came to church and said that they would get baptized. Friday afternoon before this last Sunday we had an awesome lesson with them. Actually, sorry, the lesson before that one on Tuesday they said that they were going to pray about a baptismal date. so... when we went to our lesson on Friday we started off by talking a little bit and then asked them about their praying, studying, etc. They both looked at us with despair and said that they couldn't join the church. we asked why and then they replied by saying that they wouldn't be able to pay tithing. Elder Tanner started laughing and said he knew this would come up. Everyone replied and said, "what?" He then told them/me that he knew God wouldn't let them be soo easy to be baptized. He said that it never works that way with anyone; that everyone had at least one obstacle. We both then proceeded to teach tithing for the next 20 minutes and she was in tears by the end of it saying that she thought she had faith until tithing came up. She said that she felt horrible after we explained it to her. She had said before, that she had known this was true and was filling a missing piece to her heart. After that we finshed by teaching the basic gospel and concluded by giving her a priesthood blessing. She said that she was soo frustrated with everything: her shoulder surgery, not sleeping at night, always being tired during the day etc. soooo..... when we met them at church the next day she came in with a beaming smile and said she slept through the whole night and was ready to, for sure, get baptized. They both only stayed for sacrament and left. ( because they are both very old) But, they came back at 130 to see one of the 8 year olds (in our ward) baptisms. They both loved it. we have a return appt/lesson Thursday night. Hopefully they will get baptized by the end of this transfer. I think i might be leaving. I realize that I don't talk a lot about Earl. bottom line is: he is very quiet but very very bright and has some of the most funny comments. He is awesome.
I wish I could explain everything in extreme detail to you about the people here and all of their individual personalities and characteristics etc etc etc. If I did it would take me a whole week. I Benjamin button. meaning that I've met a lot of incredible people. people that have done and will do incredible things in their lives. It really is like a fairytale as gay as that sounds but we have talked to soo many crazy, weird, great people.

That's about it for now. Hope to talk to you later. thanks. love.

No comments:

Post a Comment