Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Parker meets the Amish...

Hey guys. It sounds like everything is going great. All the trips, dogs, people, mission calls, etc. I don’t know where to start for this week. I guess I will start off by replying to all of the questions. My memory card is a memory stick pro duo or something like that. I think Sony is the only one who makes it or uses it. It should be pretty easy to find. Yes I got my Jackson Hole shirt. Thanks for the letters and love you guys send. I haven’t had a lot of time replying back to letters and packages. Especially from Grandparents but I hope no one is offended. I weighed myself the other day with my pros clothes on: white shirt, tie, pants and shoes; I stepped on the scale and couldn’t believe the big red 199 that came up. Good news was I took my shoes off and it came up: 195. Whew, that was close.

I hope I answered all of your questions. I talked to some guy up at Walmart in Kalispell, after we met with President Gardner, and talked to him about where he was from and all that jazz (the normal member missionary conversation) It turned out to be that he and his family were from Cardston and his daughter was married to Robert Bevans. I told him that Todd and Jenny were both in my ward back home and we sat there and talked for about half hour while some of the other missionaries were shopping. He said that he had known the Bevans forever and that they were up in Canada on vacation. I would have loved to see them so bad. Are the olivers still planning to come up here? I thought it was awesome to meet that guy. I cant remember his name though. I think the last name was Alexander, davidson or something like that. It had 3 syllables.

President Gardner is awesome by the way. He and his wife are both barely about 5'5''. He taught seminary for 10 years so he is a good teacher and lived on a ranch his whole life. He is also a photographer. At the end of our "meet the mission president meeting" they showed a slide show that consisted of a lot of his pictures that he had taken of St. George. They were awesome. And.. with Elder Lindhardt and Elder Schudde who are both from St G, it made them a little crazier than usual beside the fact that they are going home in 3 weeks.

The assistants came to Polson last Friday and went on team ups with us. It was really good for the both of us. Since then there has been less animosity and more soberness. We are both doing better with each other now. That kid can be so frustrating sometimes.

So, with things all resolved now, the work is going forth boldy, nobly and independent. It is penetrating every continent, visiting every clime, sweeping every country and sounding in every ear. The purposes of God are being accomplished. Life is great, especially being a missionary.

Some little things/stories that happened this week: A girl in the ward had a lake side baptism. It was cool to see that. I wish I had a camera. Elder Lindhardt, the sisters from Ronan: Sister Hodes and Sister Willhite (from Tucson AZ) and myself went on Sunday to the Amish community in St. Ignatius.
I am getting kicked off again. I will be back...

I believe I was saying that we went with the sister missionaries to St. Ignatius to go sing and eat dinner with the Amish community. It was awesome. Their culture is so crazy. I can’t believe the lifestyle that they have. Other than the lifestyle that they have they are absolutely completely normal people. They have a little bit of an accent because of the traditional Deutsche that is taught to them. All of them are bi-lingual, the Pennsylvanian Deutsche, which is a dialect off of the original Deutsche and English. Also, they can read German. Every other Sunday they sing and have a devotional. For the first half hour they sing from a German hymn book. After that they have someone give a little talk and then sing for another hour out of an English hymn book. It was all absolutely awesome. One of the best experiences that I’ve had out here. The boys sit on one side and the girls sit on the other. Someone will pick a hymn by shouting out the hymn number and then he/she will start off the song for every verse. THAT cycle continues to repeat itself until someone picks a "parting" song. After that song is done, it’s over. After all of the singing we stayed for about an extra half hour and just talked about religion and about what WE do, and what THEY do. They told us all about the DATING process and what they do for fun, etc ,etc it was so interesting. They are so normal and regular. They just wear goofy clothes and cut their hair weird. That’s it. I want to go back and live with them. I can see in the near future, that when one of them joins the church. there are going to flood into it.

I’m getting kicked off again. its busy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment