Yes this is me, really. Its not a ghost, I promise. I'm still alive. I don’t know if President Gardner called you the other day but I you haven’t found out by now I had an accident. And If you DO know then you probably want to hear the story. Whelp, here it is...
On Saturday morning we went over to a man’s house who we really want to get baptized. He was out mowing his lawn and we offered to help because he had a lot to mow and he’s not the youngest buck in the herd if you know what I mean. We ran home real fast to switch clothes and came back for some directions. He ended up having us mow some really steep hillsides on the front of his property. He wanted both of us to mow the hillsides together but I told Elder Holbrook to go do something else while I mowed the slopes by myself so that we could get done faster. As I was PULLING the mower UP, BACKWARDS my left foot slipped out from underneath me and went under the lawn mower. I definitely did not feel the blade almost cut off my foot but just felt and heard a big CLUNK hit my shoe. I was hit and the mower made that sound like when you mow over a branch. I pulled my foot away and saw that the end of my shoe was mowed off along with my Big Toe sitting there looking at me without a face. It was mowed off too. We went to the emergency room without any hesitation and they went to work. They took an xray first and showed me how the bone was shattered and then called in an orthopedic guy to try and make it look like a toe again. It was half successful. With half of the toe blown off it wasn’t that easy but Dr. Olivo did his best. The worst part about all of this is that wherever we go my toe just oozes out blood because there’s not anything covering the toe besides the gauze wrapping. It definitely leaks and people notice too. Church wasn’t the funnest. But, overall I'm alive and will just have to wait this sucker out. Its pretty frustrating, especially when you’re trying to get an area going.
So, the toe has been talked about, now Jared and the Philippines. We went over to that less active guy's house the other day and he was talking about head hunters. He told us that there are head hunters in the remote Philippine areas where the prove themselves worthy or able to protect a family/spouse by bringing the head of another person to the in laws and present it to them so that they can marry. I thought that was pretty cool. Brother Bunting also told me to tell you guys not to wear any jewelry or carry anything expensive that could be stolen. He suggested a 5 dollar pocket watch from walmart. Something concealed.
The other day I was writing in my journal for the first time in a while and had another good spiritual experience. I don’t know what it was or is about journal writing but it kind of just reflected or let me reflect on my personal progress. You know what I mean? It was kind of a self inventory. I’ve written in my journal before but this time was just different I don’t know why.
This last Friday we went down to Helena for a leadership meeting for the day. I got to see Brother Barrett before I left but other than that no one else. We had to get going to Great Falls for the other Elders and their appts. It was nice to be back in Helena again. I felt like I was home.
The old Patriarch is now 98 years old and lives in the Lewistown ward. At fast and testimony meeting the other day they handed him a microphone and he bore his testimony in word, song, and prayer. It was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen and spiritual too. I hope I die like him when Im old.
I officially saw my first red neck wedding the other day. It was awesome. I didn’t have my camera though so no pics. Not as red neck as you think but pretty good
When does Elmer leave to the MTC. If he is coming in this next transfer then its probably pretty soon right?
We are finally getting some people to teach but because of the dang toe we have slowed down. A while ago we stopped and talked to this guy who was working on his car and he let us start talking about the Gospel with him. He didn’t know anyone and his wife was expecting any day so we really addressed families and different topics that would hopefully interest him. We gave him a Book of Mormon and asked him to read it with his wife. He said sure. THE PERFECT COMBO for someone to investigate the church. We finally caught them at their place a couple of days ago but they were heading out with the newborn to do some errands. We asked them if they had read and the wife said that after we left the other week she came outside and read some of it with her husband. Let me tell you, that never happens, at least hardly. It was sweet. But, we were going to go over there on Saturday and then my toe got mowed. Worst day ever. We are still praying and hoping for them. They, at this point, are our only hope.
That’s about it for my week. Things are going to be interesting this next month. I hope it goes well. We had just started getting the habit of running every morning too. I was actually feeling skinny for once. But.... toe.
Elder P Heywood
No comments:
Post a Comment